Phone: +39 0172 458591
University of Gastronomic Sciences | Pollenzo Campus
Piazza Vittorio Emanuele, 9
fraz. Pollenzo – 12042 Bra (Cn) – Italy
Maria Giovanna Onorati is a full time Associate Professor of Sociology of Cultural and Communicative Processes (S.S.D. SPS/08) at the University of Gastronomic Sciences.
Previously she was a Researcher and Assistant Professor in Sociology of Cultural and Communicative Processes in the Department of Human and Social Sciences at the University of Valle d’Aosta, where she was also the Rector’s Delegate for Equal Opportunities and Chair of the Permanent Guarantee Committee.
From 2014 – 2017 she was Elected Member of the Presidential Committee of the National Conference of Equality Bodies of the Italian Universities.
She received her PhD in Theory of Language and Sciences of Signs (11th cycle) from the Graduate School of Human Sciences, Philosophies, Theories, Languages and Cultural and Formative Processes at the Aldo Moro University of Bari.
She has coordinated a number of European research and education projects in the fields of intercultural education and communication, especially applied to lifelong learning and vocational education and training (VET).
From 2018-2020 she has been the scientific responsible and manager of the Project funded by UNHCR “Food for Inclusion” (Call: EOI/ITARO/2/SMl/2018 “Assistance and Protection to Persons of Concern in ltaly (lntegration)”).
She has taught at various universities outside of Italy, including Semmelweis University in Budapest, Hungary, and Artevelde University College in Ghent, Belgium.
She is a Member of the Scientific Committee of the International Academic Research Center (IARC).
Since 2017 she is a member of the academic board of the PhD Program in “Ecogastronomy, Education and Society” at the University of Gastronomic Sciences in Pollenzo, and of the PhD Program in “Contemporary Social Philosophies and Theories” (XXVII and XXVIII cycles) at the Graduate School of “Human Sciences, Philosophies, Theories, Languages and Cultural and Formative Processes” at the ‘Aldo Moro’ University of Bari (since 2012). She is a member of the editorial board of the scientific journals “In-formazione. Studi e ricerche su giovani, media e formazione” (ISSN: 1970-6723).
She is affiliated to the following scientific societies: AIS – Italian Sociology Association; ESA – European Sociology Association; EASST-4S – European Association for the Study of Science and Technology – Society for Social Studies of Science; IAIE – International Association of Intercultural Education.
At UNISG, her research activities are primarily focused on the analysis of food as factor of cultural identification and social differentiation and as a possible driver of cultural integration and social inclusion. Particular attention is paid to the relationship between participatory media, social networks, and changing patterns of taste, food-related practices, with reference to the sphere of eating out and restaurant reviews.
- Member of the Joint Committee professor-student
- Delegate for solidarity and inclusion
- Delegate for Anti-Discrimination and Inclusion Policies
- Member of the Ethics Committee
- Food Media and Strategy [Undergraduate Degree in Gastronomic Sciences and Cultures]
- Sociology of Culture and Consumer Behaviour Analysis [Graduate Degree in Food Innovation & Management]
MAIN INTERDISCIPLINARY RESEARCH AREA in UNISG
SPECIFIC RESEARCH TOPICS
- Sociology of Culture and Consumer Behaviour Analysis
- Sociology of Culture, Communication, Gender Relations
- Food Media Strategy
- Migrant Gastronomies
- Sociology of Taste: Taste as a social construction
- Intercultural Communication: Focus on Food
RESEARCH PROJECTS UNISG
- UNHCR – Food for Inclusion
- PASS – Piedmont and Universities for Sustainable Development
- DIGI GASE – Development of Digital Education Competencies of Gastronomy and Culinary Arts Departments in Higher Education Institutions
- SF4C – School Food for Change
- About the origin. identity, authenticity and contradictions of food
- Feast – food systems that support transitions to healthy and sustainable diets
- Progetto casa C.L.I.O – casa, lavoro, indipendenza, ospitalità
- HEALTHYW8 – Empowering healthy lifestyle behaviour through personalised intervention portfolios to prevent and control obesity during vulnerable stages of life
- Nourishing School